LAST UPDATED: March 28, 2021
LARi Insight Inc. (“LARi”) is a market research company that conducts quantitative and qualitative research studies with members of the public in order to provide clients or other third parties with market information.
LARi is committed to safeguarding the privacy of research respondents. We’re compliant with applicable ethics standards related to our research privacy, informed consent and data protection. Any time you participate as a respondent in one of our studies, whether in person or by telephone, mail or Internet, you can be assured that your individual responses will be kept confidential and never linked to your personal identifying information without your express permission. Your personal identifying information will never be sold to anyone. You are free to choose whether or not to participate in a study, free to choose not to answer any specific questions and free to discontinue participation at any time.
In this Policy:
- “Collect” means the act of gathering, acquiring, recording, or obtaining personal information from any source, including third parties, by any means;
- “Consent” means voluntary agreement for the Collection, use and disclosure of personal information for defined purposes. consent can be either express or implied and can be provided directly by the individual or by an authorized representative. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing;
- “Disclosure” means making personal information available to a third party;
- “Employee” means an employee of or independent contractor to LARi Insight;
- “Personal information” means information about an identifiable individual, but does not include: non-personally identifiable information; other information about an individual that is publicly available; the name, title, business address and/or telephone number of an employee of an organization; descriptive, factual information about an organization;
- “Usage information” means information that we may gather when you visit our Website including measurement and tracking technologies such as cookies, web server logs or other programs, and web beacons to recognize when you visit the Website or open an email from us;
- “Respondent” means a member of the public who provides personal information to LARi Insight in the course of a study conducted by LARi Insight;
- “Third party” means an individual or organization outside of LARi Insight;
- “Use” means the treatment, handling, and management of personal information by and within LARi Insight or by a third party with the knowledge and approval of LARi Insight;
- “Website” means https://www.lari.ca.
II. FOR RESEARCH STUDY RESPONDENTS
- Accountability for personal information
LARi Insight is responsible for personal information in its possession or control and shall utilize contractual or other means to provide a comparable level of protection while information is being processed or Used by a third party.
- Identifying Purposes for Collection of personal information
LARi Insight shall identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected. LARi Insight collects personal information from the public only for the purpose of conducting quantitative or qualitative studies, or for the purpose of meeting legal and regulatory requirements.
LARi Insight shall specify orally, electronically or in writing the identified purposes to the Respondent at or before the time personal information is collected in a study. Upon request, persons collecting personal information shall explain these identified purposes or refer the individual to a designated person within LARi Insight who can explain the purposes. When personal information that has been collected is to be used or disclosed for a purpose not previously identified, the new purpose shall be identified prior to use or disclosure. Unless the new purpose is permitted or required by law, the consent of the Respondent will be acquired before the information will be Used or disclosed for the new purpose.
LARi Insight may provide clients or other third parties with information from any study, in aggregate form. In aggregate form it is impossible to identify a Respondent’s personal information
- Obtaining consent for Collection, use or disclosure of personal information
The knowledge and consent of an individual are required for the Collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate. Participation by Respondents in research is always voluntary. When a Respondent agrees to participate in a study, he/she gives consent to the study by participating. A Respondent is always free to choose whether or not to participate in a study, free to choose not to answer any specific questions and free to discontinue participation at any time.
In obtaining consent, LARi Insight shall utilize reasonable efforts to ensure that a Respondent is advised of the identified purposes for which personal information will be Used or disclosed. The identified purposes shall be stated in a manner that can be reasonably understood by the Respondent. Generally, LARi Insight shall seek consent to use and disclose personal information at the same time it collects the information. However, LARi Insight may seek consent to use and/or disclose personal information after it has been collected, but before it is Used and/or disclosed for a new purpose.
In determining the appropriate form of consent, LARi Insight shall take into account the sensitivity of the personal information and the reasonable expectations of its Respondents. The participation of a Respondent in a quantitative or qualitative research study may constitute implied consent for LARi Insight to collect, use and disclose personal information for the identified purposes.
- Limiting Collection of personal information
LARi Insight shall limit the Collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by LARi Insight. LARi Insight shall collect personal information by fair and lawful means. In conducting studies, LARi Insight limits the amount and type of personal information it collects. LARi Insight collects only the amount and type of information needed for the purposes identified to individuals. LARi Insight collects personal information about an individual primarily from that individual. LARi Insight will only collect personal information from external sources, such as client organizations, if individuals have consented to such Collection.
- Limiting use, disclosure and Retention of personal information
LARi Insight shall not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required or permitted by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
LARi Insight may disclose a Respondent’s personal information to:
– a client of LARi Insight where the Respondent has consented to such disclosure;
– a third party engaged by LARi Insight to perform functions on its behalf;
– a public authority or agent of a public authority if, in the reasonable judgment of LARi Insight, it appears that there is imminent danger to life or property which could be avoided or minimized by disclosure of the information; or
– a third party or parties, where the Respondent consents to such disclosure or disclosure is required or permitted by law.
LARi Insight employees with a business need-to-know, or whose duties reasonably so require, are granted access to personal information about Respondents. LARi Insight shall keep personal information only as long as it remains necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required by law. LARi Insight shall maintain reasonable and systematic controls, schedules and practices for information and records retention and destruction which apply to personal information that is no longer necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or required by law to be retained. Such information shall be destroyed, erased or made anonymous.
- Accuracy of personal information
Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be Used. LARi Insight shall update personal information about Respondents and employees as necessary to fulfil the identified purposes or upon notification by the individual.
- Security Safeguards
LARi Insight shall protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. LARi Insight shall protect personal information against such risks as loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification or destruction, through appropriate security measures, regardless of the format in which it is held.
LARi Insight shall protect personal information disclosed to third parties by contractual agreements stipulating the confidentiality of the information and the purposes for which it is to be Used. All LARi Insight employees with access to personal information shall be required to respect the confidentiality of that information.
- Accessing or Amending personal information
Upon request, LARi Insight shall inform an individual of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall give the individual access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
In order to safeguard personal information, an individual may be required to provide sufficient identification information to permit LARi Insight to account for the existence, use and disclosure of personal information and to authorize access to the individual’s file. Any such information shall be Used only for this purpose. Upon written request to the Privacy Officer, LARi Insight will inform an individual of the existence, use and disclosure of his/her personal information and shall be given access to that information. LARi Insight shall promptly correct or complete any personal information found to be inaccurate or incomplete. Any unresolved differences as to accuracy or completeness shall be noted in the individual’s file.
Individuals can obtain information or seek access to their individual files by contacting the LARi Insight Privacy Officer who can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
III. FOR VISITORS TO THE WEBSITE
What information does the Website collect?
Information You Give Us: LARi Insight receive and store any information you enter on the Website or given to us in any other way.
Usage Information: LARi Insight receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many other websites, we use “cookies,” and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses the Website or advertisements and other content served by or on behalf of the Website on other websites.
Information from Other Sources: LARi Insight might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information.
What about Cookies?
LARi Insight may use “cookies”. A “cookie” is a small data file transferred to your computer for access on future visits to the Website, which can tell us that you (or someone using the same computer or IP address) visited our Website before, what clips you’ve listened to, etc. You can stop accepting cookies by setting your Internet browser accordingly, but this will likely result in our not recognizing you or your preferences on future visits, so you may have to re-enter certain information.
LARi Insight do not use, spyware, adware or any other similarly intrusive software. The Website and e-mails from LARi Insight may contain electronic images known as “web beacons.” These are files that allow us to count visitors to our Website, to tell if an ad has been viewed or if an e-mail has been opened or forwarded, or to serve particular content or services. Web beacons collect limited non-personal information, including beacon number, time and date of a page or e-mail view, and a description of the page on which the web beacon resides, all of which we may store and use. Disabling cookies may prevent some beacons’ activity, but generally the beacons will operate if you visit the Sites or open e-mails from us.
Does the Website Share the Information It Receives?
LARi Insight does not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Usage Information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating the Website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. LARi Insight may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our website policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other Uses.
With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
How does LARi Insight use the usage information?
LARi Insight uses your information for the following business purposes during and after your use of the Website:
– To analyze, manage and improve the Website;
– To notify you of research studies or services that we believe may be of interest to you or to send you current mailings if you have subscribed as such; and
– to diagnosis and resolve technical issues with the Website;
CONDITIONS OF USE, NOTICES AND REVISIONS